Friday, April 24, 2009

Ewww...

Look what I found today while I was getting up to get a drink at lunch time. Sweet huh? Except that when I first found it, it did not have blood coming out of its head. Thank goodness Darin was home, and thank goodness he has a bb gun. Sorry if this is offensive to anyone... that we would kill a snake who was just passing through our backyard. I really am... but, I find it offensive that the thing was on my patio. Thank goodness the animal control guy (yes I called animal control, because i didn't know if it was poisonous or not) said that he was probably just passing through and that he doesn't think we should have any reason to expect to see more of them.
Also, in case you didn't know this (as I didn't either) if you want to tell if a snake is poisonous or not, you just have to look at its pupil. If it goes straight up and down like a cat it is poisonous... if it is a round pupil it is not poisonous. Interesting I know. But I am NOT repeat NOT going to get close enough to check that before the snake is dead. Seriously snakes that are poisonous should just have a big P for poisonous on its back. That would make things much easier. Anyway, I don't know why I had so much to say about this snake. Just know that I feel sooo much more.

4 comments:

Wanda said...

ewww to the ninth degree!!! i would just never go into my backyard ever again if i found a snake out there...extreme...YES!!! i so hate them!!! very scary!!!! hope the boys know to NEVER EVER EVER touch one and to not go close to it...stay like 4 cars away from it....oh, my goodness!!! sure glad darin was home...

Devon said...

do they actually think you would get close enough to it to check out its pupils?! super gross....

and in case you care, i'm not offended at all that is dead! lol!

Colored With Memories said...

oh my! i am glad you posted a pic. i had been wondering since i got your e-mail.

i am so glad you shot it...one less that can "just pass through" my backyard!

i've also heard you can grab the back of their neck and squeeze til they are basically rendered useless...again...who in the freak would do that!?!?

faithful love said...

the only good snake is a dead snake, there is just something that's not right about no legs...so was it bad or not? Wanda you probably have had or have them and don't even know it!!! Makes you know your heart is healthy when you run in to them, or run over them, I have done that several times on the canyons....fun, swished snake....glad you were ok...pray that Josh and Jenna miss them...the neighbor says every year they have 3-4, but last year there weren't any cause of the fire that winter...but the mice are back (he already killed one on the top of his wall) which means the slime snakes aren't far behind, so he will get a king snake or two, which are harmless, and allow them to drive out the rattlers...satan is the rattler and God is the King, good analogy don't you think? and the King's do kill and swallow the rattlers and nice word picture for you...